Tracking at Marble Brook

IMG_4427 bobcat
Bobcat prints before we entered Marble Brook! Notice the asymmetrical toes and the heel pad with two lobes on the top and three on the bottom. Nice!

IMG_4436 group on the trailI knew it was going to be a great day when we spotted bobcat tracks before we even got to the trail!  Plus a river otter slide as we crossed the bridge.  Then, 10 feet in, we saw great tracks of a porcupine going from a hemlock tree to its den in a culvert.  Over the course of the morning, we saw Deer, turkey, bobcat, and coyote tracks!  And the weather was just stunning!  Thanks everyone for a great hike!  It was sponsored by Kestrel Land Trust.  Below are some pictures, click on them to enlarge:

A bobcat track before we even got to Marble Brook!  Notice the asymmetrical toes with a forward lead toe (Catitude) and the heel pad with two lobes on the front and three lobes on the back.
A bobcat track before we even got to Marble Brook! Notice the asymmetrical toes with a forward lead toe (Catitude) and the heel pad with two lobes on the front and three lobes on the back.
IMG_4429 river otter slide
Here is a river otter slide below the bridge.
IMG_4430 porcupine den
A porcupine den
IMG_4431 turkey
Turkey track.
IMG_4432 group on the field
We found turkey and deer tracks all over the cornfield!
IMG_4435 deer
Here’s a deer track.
IMG_4437 coyote
A coyote track. You may be able to just make out the X in the middle. This is the negative space created by the symmetrical two front and two side toes. Plus the claws are apparent. Remember X marks the spot, Spot marks the X.
IMG_4438 marble brook
Marble Brook!
IMG_4441 raccoon
A racoon track near where I put my remote camera. They kinda look like human feet.
1306:021417:47F:PORKY CAM :5
I was hoping to get pictures of river otter. These are their slides heading down to the brook.
1316:021417:47F:PORKY CAM :5
Scientists have found that river otters are such effective hunters that they only have to hunt 5% of their time. Which leaves 95% of their time to play! In my next life, I want to come back as a river otter!
0217:021817:13F:PORKY CAM :6
Well, the only pictures I got from my remote camera was this curious raccoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *